Ani

And I was shocked to see the mistakes of each generation will just fade like a radio station, if you just drive out of range... ~Ani DiFranco

Monday, February 7, 2011

Confessions of a no poo’er

That’s right, I said it…I no-poo.  SHAMPOO that is.

Today is 4 full weeks since I have used shampoo of any kind on my hair.  My last time to shampoo my hair was on January 10.

Candi, what in the world are you saying, you might ask.  Well, friend, I am glad you asked.

You see, I woke on the 10th, showered and washed the hair just as normal.  On the 11th, I didn’t go anywhere and therefore did not wash the hair.  It was that night that I came across the subject of no-poo’ing.  I was immediately intrigued and read many many postings in the particular conversation.  Some women said they had tried and couldn’t follow through on their well-intended project.  Others said they started and hated the results.  Others, though, said they absolutely loved their decision. 

There are many reasons one might choose to endeavor in eliminating shampoo from their personal product use, not the least of which is the environment.  Being a girl who has yet to figure out ways to try being greener that can fit into my lifestyle, not to mention one who consumes at least two bottles of shampoo monthly (we’re not talking the cheap stuff here either folks), I figured helping keep shampoo bottles out of the Earth’s landfills was a good start. 

This brings us to the 12th.  I rinsed my hair but didn’t shampoo.  Just decided to brush my hair out after blow drying it.  And that was the beginning of my commitment. 

Now, let me assure you that this little project is not one without trial…and um error.  I began the experiment with using a baking soda paste on my scalp and apple cider vinegar.  My hair was dry beginning about two inches out from my scalp all the way to the ends.  And apparently, went back and forth between smelling like easter eggs and a potato.  I know, exactly what every girl aspires to.  Not to mention avoiding sweating at all costs as this would result in instant greasies.

Fast forward.  My hair is now soft and healthy looking.  On any given day it smells like the lavender scented baking soda paste I use every third or every other day mixed with a little conditioner.  People who have known me quite a while are probably shocked reading this, as I am one of the most vain people I know about my hair.  I’ll admit it.

Without every day that goes by, though, I am proud of my decision and commitment to it.  I am even more proud as every Monday rolls around, and I’ve marked another week of no-poo days off the calendar.  So, here we are…going into week 5.  I’ll keep y’all updated, but this is one is a phase I intend on sticking with.

110124-095316

1 comment:

  1. I miss YOOOOOO, no poo'er. All the cosmetologists at work don't was their hair for weeks.

    ReplyDelete